Job Title: Sample & Events Manager
Location: London, Clapham
Salary & Contract: £30.000 – £35.000 depending on experience plus bonus, pension and other benefits, including trips to Italy to learn about our products and the way they are served in their home Italian region.
Our client brings together the finest Italian bakery products and regional specialities that Italy has to offer. From traditional Piadina flatbreads made in Emilia Romagna to the finest hand-twisted grissini from Piemonte, the range is only sourced from the highest quality producers in each region of Italy.
They are a small business of 12 people in total and the current Marketing team consists of 2 people – a Head of Marketing and an Assistant Brand Manager.
The Sampling & Events Manager position is a newly created position within the business due to rapid business growth. You will report directly to the Head of Marketing.
About the job
Hands-on, end-to-end management of, and accountability for all Sampling, Catering and Events activity across a wide variety of consumer, trade, retail and food service contexts. This is an Event operations role, rather than a Brand Marketing & Events role, so we are looking for candidates with a strong catering and events operations background.
For the first 12 months in this role, there will be a higher focus on product sampling activity (particularly retailer/street sampling and coupon distribution) over consumer events, so the candidate needs to be comfortable working in a role which has more of a functional/operational focus rather than a role which is more about creativity and communications. This will hopefully shift over time as the brand grows.
The position is based at the office in south-west London, but the role will require travel around the UK and some overnight stays away from home. Events and sampling activity will often require early starts and late finishes as well as working weekends.
- Contacting retailers, agencies and Events organisers to investigate costs, operational requirements and restrictions for all Sampling & Events activity which has been agreed by the Marketing team as part of the wider business plan.
- Sampling & Events planning, including equipment, stock and staffing
- End-to-End Event Management including set up, on-site management and break down
- Directly delivering sampling and events on-site without the use of external staff/resource (depending on size of activity and budget available)
- Recruitment, training and supervision of catering staff, brand ambassadors and sampling/promotional staff
- Briefing and managing agencies and third party suppliers
- Negotiating costs and contracts with Events organisers and third party suppliers
- Food preparation and food service
- Handling cash, cashing up, managing card payments
- Keeping accurate financial records
- Stock and inventory management (ambient, chilled and frozen food)
EXAMPLES OF SAMPLING & EVENTS ACTIVITY WITHIN ROLE REMIT
Sampling – Retail, Wholesale, Food Service context
- In-store sampling (Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Booths, John Lewis, independent retailers)
- Supermarket car park sampling, e.g. hot sampling with mobile catering van
- Coupon leaflet distribution outside supermarkets to directly drive sales
- Consumer sampling and promotional activity for Wholesalers, Independent Retailers and Food Service customers (e.g. Coco di Mama, Caffè Nero, Wine Rack, Costco)
Trade Customer Engagement
- Head Office sampling & brand engagement events for grocery retailers and other trade customers
- Sampling and coupon distribution in high footfall locations, e.g. high streets and commuter stations
- UK and international trade fairs
Consumer Sampling & Events
- Third party consumer events, e.g. Foodies Festival
- Brand-owned events, e.g. pop-ups
- Brand partnership activity and events, e.g. Birra del Borgo (Italian craft beer brand)
- Sampling in high footfall public areas or in street food or farmers’ markets
- Sampling and Events for journalists and media owners
- Company social events and team activities
This is a small team and are therefore looking for someone who can fit in effortlessly, whilst possessing the following qualities and skills:
- A passion to work in a dynamic food brand business
- Full, clean driving licence (held for a minimum of 5 years). Experienced and confident in driving in the UK.
- Love of, and some knowledge, of Italian food and culture
- Exceptional planning and project management skills
- High level of pragmatism and common sense
- Able to prioritise and work to tight deadlines
- Thinking on your feet – problem solving approach
- Impeccable customer service skills
- Friendly and approachable character
- Strong team player with a proactive attitude
- High level of flexibility and adaptability
- Able to communicate effectively, both internally and externally
- Highly desirable – experience driving long wheelbase vans. Confidence and willingness to drive an Italian Ape three wheeler van.
- High level of maturity, reliability and accountability
- Entrepreneurial, commercial mindset – parts of this role will almost be like running your own business
If this sounds like you, please apply ASAP through the form below or send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org